# What is Fab Learning academy?
Fab Learning Academy is a Global Certification program for educators using digital fabrication technologies in K-12 settings. This distributed education model works with a global faculty, synchronous cohort meetings, and distributed Local Learning Nodes for the hands-on learning of the technologies.
# Why Fab Learning?
As schools across the globe are adding makerspaces with 3D printers, laser cutters, and other computer controlled machinery, these spaces and technologies are often not used to support student learning across the curriculum. In these spaces, students are mostly learning ABOUT the technology instead of THROUGH the technology. In order to unlock the teaching potential of digital design and fabrication, teachers need to gain an understanding of the capabilities of the technology, its uses, and also how the technologies can relate to what the students are already learning in school. This approach to teaching using makerspace technologies includes three aspects, all three are included and attended to in the Fab Learning Academy Curriculum.
# Distributed education
Fab Learning Academy is taught Globally and supported Locally. To participate in this distributed education program, you must be registered with a Local Learning Node. Local Learning Nodes are equipped with the technology, machines, and materials for all participants. Local Learning Nodes also have a Local Instructor on staff to lead hands-on weekly workshops and assess the physical project assignments.
Global Instructors will meet with participants weekly for Masterclasses as well as guest speakers and global assessment reviews. As a participant, you must have internet access in order to participate in the Global elements of this academy.
While Learning Nodes concentrate on the technology learning objectives, Global Instruction is dedicated to pedagogy, innovative practices, and learning theories.
# Program details
- Global Classes are taught in English.
- Participants are expected to spend 4-8 hours a week in synchronous and asynchronous learning.
- Participants will complete local assignments through their Local Learning Node and also each module will include a field activity, which involves lesson planning, project building, and testing the lesson with learners.
- After completion of all four modules in the curriculum, participating teachers will earn a Global Certification in Fab Learning.
- Graduates will be celebrated at an international graduation ceremony through Academany and the Fab Conference.
- Local Nodes may offer additional certification for local participants.